What comes next? Where should couples even start with planning their weddings?
Published on February 15. 2021
You’re engaged!! Now what? What comes next? Where should couples even start with planning their weddings? As a newly engaged couple these are probably the first few questions that will start popping up after getting engaged. Wedding planning and your engagement is such a wonderful and special time in your lives. As a wedding planner I always recommend to couples to enjoy their engagement for a bit, let that soak in and be an incredibly special time! Celebrate your love with your family and friends! Then when you are ready to start to think about the planning process I’d recommend the following tips to get you started with planning your New England wedding.
1. The dreaded “B” word ~ Budget! You’ll want to decide on your wedding budget. This is a crucial first step in the planning process. You’ll want to ask the question- “who is paying for this wedding?” If parents and future in-laws are assisting in paying for the wedding you will want to come up with your total wedding budget based off of all those involved who will be helping foot the bill for your special day. Once you have come up with your total budget, stick to it! Most couples don’t have an unlimited budget to spend on their wedding day. Sticking to your budget
and having a realistic expectation will avoid issues down the road. You don’t want your wedding to get bigger than what you can actually afford.
2. Who do you want to invite to your wedding? Whether you have your hearts set on planning an intentionally romantic and intimate soiree for 20 of the closest people in your life or want a large wedding with 150 + of your family and friends you will want to start thinking about who to invite. I’m a sucker for organization and I love a good spreadsheet for your guest list. It’s great because you can add additional tabs for collecting guest addresses, having notes on guest food allergies, doing color coding and more!
3. Where do you want to get married? This could be a loaded question and perhaps you don’t know and you’re not even sure where to start, or you may have your heart set on a venue and your ready to see if it will work for your budget.
If you and your fiancé aren’t sure with where to even start with selecting your wedding location
think about the following questions:
– Are you a couple that loves the ocean and spends a lot of the time at the beach?
– Are you a couple that loves the outdoors and mountains?
– Are you a city couple that loves the hustling vibes of the city and exploring museums?
– Is there a certain town or city that you love spending weekends away at as a couple?
– Is there a favorite venue you’ve attended a wedding at previously?
– Do you want your wedding to be a full weekend away experience for you and your guests or just a one night
– Is there a private family property that you would absolutely love to be seen designed and
turned into a magical private estate + tented wedding location?
Hopefully these questions will get the juices flowing if you are a couple who isn’t sure of what type of venue you’d want for your wedding day or wedding weekend! And on the flip side if you are a couple who really has your heart set on a certain location you will want to see if you can make the wedding work with your budget and for the season you want to get married in.
4. Is there a particular time of the year or season you love and want to be married in? Early in the wedding planning process is the perfect time to start to think about this. If you have your heart set on having a wedding during the peak New England wedding season of May – September to early October you will want to keep that in mind as venues and vendors book up quickly for this time. The late fall into winter and early spring, are typically more open as far as availability on the venue and vendors sides goes.
Extra Tip! Did you know that many venues offer discounted winter wedding packages? If you are open to getting married during the winter months in New England this may be a great way to save money on your wedding! In addition, the beautiful winters in New England can often offer alovely backdrop for gorgeous wedding photos!
5. If you are a busy couple the initial phases of wedding planning may also be when you start to think about hiring a wedding planner in some capacity. Did you know that the average New England wedding takes over 200 hours to plan? Yes, that is correct, over 200 hours! Some weddings take 250-300 + hours to plan. That is essentially another full time job on top of the jobs and normal activities and family obligations you have going on in your personal lives. Many couples simply don’t have that amount of extra time to plan their wedding and they opt for a planner for full or partial wedding planning packages to assist them with managing the wedding planning process.
6. If you start feeling overwhelmed with the planning process take a break! Don’t get burned out from wedding planning as then it will become a less enjoyable part of your life. If planning truly becomes too overwhelming and time-consuming you may really want to consider having a wedding planner by your side to take over the reins and offer their experience to make your wedding day the most enjoyable day of your lives!
7. Have fun! Wedding planning should be a fun and exciting time in your engagement! While not every couple will enjoy all the many different aspects of the planning process, try to enjoy the ones that offer your unique love story the ability to shine through!
Why should I hire a wedding planner to plan my New England wedding?
Published on March 9, 2021
Many newly engaged couples are probably thinking about how they are going to manage planning their wedding on top of their normal jobs and hobbies/activities. Many couples will wrestle with the idea of hiring a wedding planner to either help with fully planning the wedding, planning part of it or just
executing it at the end.
Questions like “why should I hire a wedding planner?”, “aren’t wedding planners expensive and only for those with unlimited budgets?”, and “how am I going to find the time to plan the wedding the way I want it?” will probably start to creep in your mind at some point during the wedding planning process.
The truth is an experienced wedding planner doesn’t have to be for only those with an unlimited budget. Many wedding planners (not all) have different wedding planning packages and different price points to assist in planning your special day. Some wedding planners are considered full service planners and they only do full wedding planning. An experienced wedding planner has key insights into the wedding industry, knows current trends, has a solid repertoire of trusted vendor recommendations, and can actually
help save you money. Yes, that is correct a good wedding planner can help you save money on your wedding planning needs! A wedding planner can also help you stay on track and manage your wedding budget which in turn saves you money so you don’t go over your wedding budget.
A wedding planner will also save you time, and let’s face it- the old saying of “time is money” is true. Most couples have busy lives and aren’t able to devote 200 + hours to planning your wedding on top of all of your normal responsibilities. Example- if you know you want to spend $5,000 on a photographer but have no idea which photographers will be in that ballpark that could take you hours upon hours of research to find a photographer in that budget who matches your style, who might or might not be
available on your wedding date. Having a wedding planner on your side will eliminate that research time and can deliver you a hand-picked and trusted list of photographers in your budget and style that are available on your wedding date for you to select from.
Wedding planners are experienced with negotiating with other vendors to get you the best price for the services and how to prioritize your wedding budget for the areas of your wedding that are most important to you as a couple. Your wedding planner may also be able to get you certain vendor discounts that you wouldn’t be able to get on your own.
Most couples do not have an unlimited budget to spend on their New England wedding and weddings here in New England can be expensive. Your wedding planner will be able to help you narrow down your priorities, and help you cut costs as needed so you can to stick to your budget while also empowering you to have the wedding of your dreams that tells your unique love story as a couple!
A wedding planner is experienced at bringing your vision to life. You may have amazing ideas, but not know how to cohesively tie them altogether so they make sense; this is a huge area your planner can help with. Full execution of your ideas brought to life from start to finish!
Lean on your wedding planners experience and insights to help you plan, design, and execute the wedding day of your dreams! Be sure to trust your wedding planner and make sure their personality and experience match what you are looking for.
Extra Tip! Have an upfront and open conversation at the beginning of the process with your planner about expectations around communication during the wedding planning process. If honesty and expectations are set from the start, this will make for a much more enjoyable wedding planning process for everyone involved.